Friday, May 6, 2011

Jennifer Egan: What I Read

Thanks to T. Papa for passing this Nights-find along.  Jennifer Egan, winner of the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for her novel A Visit from the Goon Squad, is, according to this interview, in the process of working through reading the Nights with her son, gory bits and all.  I wonder which version she is using?!

Here's the link to the interview, from The Atlantic Wire's series "What I Read":  http://www.theatlanticwire.com/business/2011/05/jennifer-egan-what-i-read/37208/

And the relevant snippet:

"If I do take the kids to school, I'll read to my younger son after we drop off the elder. For the past month or so, we've been reading the Arabian Nights, which is quite bloody and rash—we both love it. That is often the first thing I'll read in the morning on those days. Walking home from school takes 15-20 minutes, and I always listen to my iPod while walking, in part to distract me from the grocery bags I'm often lugging by that time. My morning music choices tend to be, let's say, energizing rather than sophisticated:  this morning it was a couple of Lady Gaga hits from last summer:  "Telephone" and "Let's Dance."  If a song is putting me in the right mood, I'll often just repeat it the whole way home."

No comments:

Post a Comment